RE: [Harp-L] Customizing harps, Tim Moyer, life...

Matt Smart wrote:
"I also question whether this art, of customizing harps will last....or
be around much longer. With harp companies finally paying attention to
harp players, we may just have some new harps that will make customizing
unnecessary or unique...possibly."

One sure thing about the American way of life - If it CAN be customized,
it WILL be customized. Everyone is in search of the "secret weapon".
Some find that in the Firebreath, Vintage 1923, MBD, etc. But there are
many out there who cannot take to heart the idea that a production harp
will give them the "edge" they need to stand out above the crowd; kind
of like the guy at the end of the street who always has the hood up on
his Corvette, trying to figure out how to make it go faster than the
other guy's Corvette. Either car has more power than you'll ever need,
but it is the idea of the hidden potential in, and the uniqueness of a
customized (fill in the blank), which drives us to "personalize" our
possessions.
Everyone has different needs/styles, and for that reason, there will
always be a need for customizers of any product. In the case of
harmonicas, the list of specific needs is indeed long, as exemplified by
the many threads concerning harp adjustments and tuning procedures
contained in the Harp-L archives, and the web in general.
I have harps that are many years old, which I have given pure hell over
that time. I can pick them up and play them right now. On the other
hand, I bought two brand new Suzuki Bluesmasters (A and C) a few years
ago, and let my friend Clyde Ramsey (Pat Ramsey's son) try them out.
(Excellent player, by the way. "Plays just like Dad".) Anyway, he played
each of them for about ten minutes, blew the 4 draws out on both of
them, handed them back to me and said "nice harp, but it doesn't hold up
very well". Nice. Thanks for the evaluation. Maybe for an encore, we can
go out and play tennis with some of my mics.

I hear what you are saying, though. And for the most part, it's true.
Most players are weekend warriors like me. We are not going to stand in
line for $200 harmonicas when a $50 Firebreath is more harp than most of
us will ever "need". On the other hand, for the professionals, and those
who have special harp needs due to their propensity to blow out 4-draw
reeds, there will always be a need for the Tim Moyers out there. The
trick is to find someone with true skill, and not just good marketing
hype. Tim had the skill, from what I gather from this list. And for that
reason, his hiatus will be a loss to the harp community. But we still
have him as a "consultant"!

John Balding