[Harp-L] Dan Gage attempts youtube instructional videos

Dear List,

  Inspired by my good friend Ryan Hartt's video on amplified harmonica hand techniques http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2grIYzis_c as well as my other friend Dan Ridgeway's "amazing harmonica" http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4718418427499377896&q=dan+ridgeway&hl=en and countless others...  I finally got around to shooting a video for youtube.

  Actually, I made three separate "instructional" videos for the world to see.  I put "instructional" in quotes because i'm not much of a teacher.  These vids come very much from my point of view.  They are also a "first try" where I'm learning as I go.  Please see my notes below for even more disclaimers.

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvE5h0G4EI

  I call this one "Additive Harmonica Techniques"  I'm attempting to illustrate how one can play the same theme very differently depending on technique.  I discuss TB and pucker attack, bending into notes, and sliding into notes.  I forget to mention the use of hands (which I do a lot and encourage others to use) and playing around with the "beat".   I sort of got carried away towards the end.

  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6zYidPhHs

  This one is called "One Hole at a Time"  I think I first read of this exercise in a David Barrett book. This vid is a window into one of my favorite things to practice The point I'm trying to make here is not to listen to me as much as to try it yourself.   Also, when I say "note" early on, I should be saying "hole".  I got nervous...

  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_94ra2KoZGo

  This last one is my attempt to chime into the old TB vs. pucker discussion. I spent a lot of time learing to TB, and even more time learning to transition between the two embouchures.  Later in the vid it gets a little crazy. At some points, I'm switching embouchures between every note.  Bottom line:  I hope this one shows that speed and tone are attainable no matter how you approach the harp, if you put the effort in.

  As always, I will appreciate any feedback, comments etc.  I'd also love to see more people post their own videos.  I think this could be the next huge leap in the spread of harmonica knowledge.

  Dan G.