[Harp-L] Harmonica at The Grand Ole Opry (Ryman Auditorium) Nashville, TN

    I'm sure over the past 70 years many or at least a good bunch of harp players have played on that famous stage....but it's VERY interesting to note that the first STAR of the Opry was DeFord Bailey (that was 1927 when the Opry was under it's original name The Ryman Auditorium. . I was honored and fortunate enought to play harp on that legenday stage 2 nights ago so maybe until this week is up anyway, the first Harp player was a Black Man and the Last an Italian-American!!!,-)

     How about a bit of History, in 1885 Riverboat Captain Thomas Green Ryman comissioned the evangelist Tabernacle be built. In 1892 they opened their doors under the name of The Union Gospel Tabernacle. In June of 1897 the Confederate Gallery was constructed by Confederate Vets Assoc. and increased the capacity to 6,000.

    In 1898 the Chicago Symphony Performed and in 1904 they voted to rename the Tabernacle THE RYMAN AUDITORIUM. Performers like Sarah Bernhardt, John Phillip Sousa, Enrico Caruso and Charlie Chaplin, Will Rogers and Rdolph Valentino appeared there. In 1943 The Grand Ole Opry with Bluegrass legend Bill Monroe brought his show to be housed at the Ryman. The Opry stayed until 1974 when it was moved to the Gaylord Convention Ctr and the Ryman remained vacant until it was renovated in 1994 and has a terrific OPRY museum and National acts every night!

    I tried to contact our Nashville friends Jason Ricci, PT Gazell and Jellyroll Johnsonto invite them to the show but notice too short and other gigs were in the book. Our show was called "Play it Steve" , it honored guitar legend Steve Cropper's 50yrs in the biz and his 65 Birthday. All proceeds went to the TJ Martell Cancer Foundation.

    I consider myself pretty lucky, last summer I got to play my harp at The Acropolis in Athens, but doing this show on such a legendary Music Hall was even more of a "Kick in the Pants" for me. Some terrific performances were handed down by:

Randy Owen (Alabama), Michael McDonald, Mark Farner, Felix Cavaliere, John Kay (Steppenwolf), Don Shirley, John Anderson, BJ Thomas and many more...but the highlight for me was doing 3 tunes with a guitar section James Burton, Robben Ford, Lee Roy Parnell and Steve Cropper......whew ...! I was in HEAVEN!!!!

A big thanxs to Steve Cropper for his generosity and professionalism and givin' this ole harpoonist a shot on the BIG stage with SO much History...I'm humbled and honored.

PS...If your EVER in The Music City.....take the TOUR of the RYMAN Auditorium, you won't be disappointed!