[Harp-L] RE: Harp-L Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

Joe Filisko's cd with Eric Noden is for sale NOW!!!
Filisko & Noden "Live"
CD now available at www.bluebeatmusic.com
Official CD release party for Filisko & Noden "Live"
Friday November 17th 1029 Davis St. Evanston, IL
Some day when I grow up I want to play like Joe!
>From the Rapids
Timm Goodrich

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:00:25 +0000
From: jandkday@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] History of the Harmonica Show
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
st.net>

Hey all,

About a month ago I had a gig near NYC and I had the oppurtunity to swing by
beforehand and
catch Dave Barrett's Masterclass,"History of The Harmonica Show." It was an
independent show on
Saturady and was open for anyone to attend.
 I was pretty impressed with Joe Filsiko's Pre-war harp portion of the show,
almost note for note renditions of Daddy Stove Pipe & Deford Bailey...tunes
I had only heard on Yazoo Records CD complilations.  Also the stories and
folklore that went along with the rendidtions was interesting to me,
paticularly how close country & blues were Pre WWI.
  Then Dave Barret did a slew of amplified harp instrumentals, everything
from LW's 'Roller Coaster',
to GS's 'Sharp Harp, & Jerry McCain's 'steady'.  Great Tone & a great band
backing him.
 Dennis Gruenling polished the show off with his take on Modern Blues
Harmonica and played many of his own swinging jump tunes. It was a great
sound and I left the hotel stunned & amazed and preceded to get lost in the
urban sludge of North Jersey and missed my first set of side work. (it was
worth it!)
If your schedule can't make the weekend Masterclass, then by all means make
sure you attend the History of the Harmonica Show.

 Also I am waiting as (I am sure you all are) for Joe Filisko's first CD
effort!!!!

-A big fan of it all this mess.

James Day & the Fish Fry
www.jameswday.com