Fwd: [Harp-L] Tuning in 442 etc?

Use the cents offsets, whether your're tuning at 440, 442 , or whatever.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matt Smart"
<matthewsmart@...> wrote:

Can anyone answer this in simple terms. I am not really up on music
theory,
so please keep it simple!

Let's say for example, I am planning to tune my harp with a just
intonation.
The draw 5 is -29 cents etc. Can I use the basic cents chart that you find
for these tunings at 442?

======WINSLOW:

442 is an external reference to the outside world. The whole harp is
at 442. The adjustments in cents for just intonation are the INSIDE
world of the harp relative to itself. So yes, use 442 as the basis -
tune blow 1, 4, 7, and 10 to 442. Tune all the other notes by the
offset in cents relative to that.

Or should I adjust the cents according to the hz?

 NO! Cents and Hertz do not correspond in any direct way. That way
lies more theory and arithmetic than there is any need for. Stick with
cents. It applies regardless of your baseline in hertz - 440, 442, etc.