Re: [Harp-L] Re: Taylor Hicks (response to Bobbie) -cont'd

At 02:10 PM 5/23/2006, BETTY WELCH wrote:
Bobbie, we all have our individual takes and that is to be respected.
  Well done,
  Betty

Thanks, Betty. And, of course, I absolutely agree with your statement.

Having seen the finalists perform last night, and also, having visited both contenders' MySpace websites, a few blogs and news sites, too, I have to say it will be surprise me quite a bit if Taylor doesn't win tonight. He does seem to have a larger following. Personality-wise, both seem to be genuinely good folk, and both have probably had to work pretty darn hard to get to where they are, and that is only to be admired in anyone.

Musically, though, neither shone very brightly in my eyes, or rather, in my ears, in this final competition. I think the best performance of the night was McPhee's "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", made more credible by the fact that she had to deal with her stage monitor going out and had to yank her earphone. She had trouble, though, with modulating to a new key or expanding her range, especially downward, and still shows a tendency to wail too much when uncalled-for. I have noticed what seems to be an undercurrent of feeling that she's young, attractive and has enough talent that she can afford to lose more than Taylor can, which may be true, although beside the point.

Taylor acquitted himself well also, but I could hardly agree, as stated here and elsewhere, that he brought the house down. True, more people were standing and applauding his tunes, especially the first one, but he actually appeared less self-assured than I'd seen in the past... seeming cautious, restrained even. And whereas 'wailing' really does suit his musical style, he seemed to hold back on that, too, this time. He, too, had difficulties with pitch control, and to me, his rendition of "Levon" was the worst effort of the night. It seemed forced, rushed, really pointed up his limited vocal range, and ended in an oddly abrupt manner as if he was glad to get over with it. I know I was. Not totally his fault as to execution, I feel, because "Levon" has always been one of the more boring Elton John tunes for me anyway... I just wonder what he was thinking to choose that as one of his final showcase songs.

I was genuinely nonplussed by either singer's final selections, which are slated to be on their new albums, yes? I may just save my pennies awhile longer yet.

So, there you go... veni vedi veci?
No, rather... I watched, I saw, I yawned.

I am sure both have the chance to develop into fine musical artists... especially since they and all other AI participants will likely have more opportunities than most to do so. I guess I tend to throw more of my support to those who do it the hard way! A local guy, Kris Kolp, is a singer-harper-guitarist who I know would give Taylor a real run for his money, and may yet. But, for now, he fronts a fairly obscure band playing a mix of Southern Rock, Funk and Blues and runs a self-built recording studio business [handy!] He is another sweet guy, like Taylor appears to be, who looks out for his friends and openly shares his band's stage with many others, the talented and the less so, doing his part to help those struggling to stay in the crazy music scene game. My own son is a former member Full Black Out, Kris's band, who is still regularly invited to sit in a few times a month, just as he has guest players at his own gigs. And the way Jason Ricci and others also do. This is the sort of heart I like to see in the music business... more concern with the musical "us" than "me".

That leads me to one last digression [I promise!]... I'm sure it was the selfishness and cutthroat side of the business that soured my dad on being a working musician, and why he discouraged me from pursuing music as a career. He had been a trumpet player in the 30's and 40's, but my folks never gave me an instrument, bought me lessons, etc., though I craved them. My own kid got the opposite treatment, but only as he showed an interest... help with the instruments he chose, lessons when he asked for them. I never had to tell him to practice... 'stop' practicing to do homework or go to bed was more the case!

The only pressure I put on him was to play music with others if he really wanted to grow, and he was lucky his first music teacher brought him and some of his other students together to form a band. After that, he really blossomed and his versatility started expanding. Around then, it occurred to me how fortunate he and other aspiring musicians are today with a trend that seemed to really take hold somewhere around, perhaps because of, the "We Are The World" project and things like the "Band Aid" concerts.

Suddenly, singularly popular musicians were dropping their guard a bit, and a good amount of professional jealousy seemed to be disappearing, as individual members of many bands from different genres and styles began coming together for experimental *projects* to see what amalgams of their diverse elements might produce. I'm certain this is not anything new, of course, it's just that it seems to have become so much a common format for creating new and interesting music these days; and the openness and supportive qualities engendered by it is what I find so refreshing. The result is not only great new music evolving, but better, very useful exchanges of knowledge and ideas coming out of all the new communication, respect and understanding between musicians. Plus, it seems to be getting passed on to the fans with things like encouraged concert taping and free music downloads. Everybody can win.

I just find this a happy trend in the music scene, and harmonica is right in there with all the rest! Even between and among harmonica players... as with Dennis Gruenling and Adam Gussow, Robert Bonfiglio and Rob Paparozzi, and if Jason Ricci really does take up the chord harmonica, there may be "New Blood" [excuse the 'pun-manship'!] in harmonica groups as well. THAT is something I would love to see! Really... things don't look so bad to me at all, despite manipulative networks, programs or media. Harmonica festivals and the outdoor music festivals I've attended are really showcasing this new attitude of music sharing that, to coin a phrase, "lifts all instruments and musicians" with the tide. Idols don't really have a place in music in my book.

Just been watching the final show... I have to say I heard a lot of voices every bit as good as either finalist. First I've seen or heard most of them, too... but here comes the vote results, and I still expect Taylor will win. I wish them all good luck... lot of nerves on that stage tonight!!! :)

Musical regards,

Bobbie Giordano =[HARP SPOKEN HERE]=
http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.htm