Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Taylor Hicks (response to Bobbie) -cont'd

Midnight Steve writes:

"Hi Bobbie and all the other AI Fans ;)-

Have you actually  listened to Taylor's album?  It's creative and not
directly  imitative of anyone, IMHO. Not that great, I'll admit,  but  I'm
sure he has
much better things in store for us as he grows and   develops.  And he
certainly does have the right influences,  doesn't  he?

But the real point is that his popularity and  exposure will bring a renewed
interest on the part of many in  blues and soul music.  We all had to get
introduced  somewhere, and hopefully Taylor will be the enrty point for many
new
fans.  Isn't that what we are all hoping- no begging-  for?

Midnight Steve"

.....And as I watch the final contest, I agree completely with your  take on
it.  I just listened to Taylor singing his first  single (under AI's auspices)
...with a gospel group backup.   .....Katharine had just sung her first (also
with a Gospel back-up) to  fairly luke-warm response from the judges.  While
the first 2/3's of  the song was great (IMHO)....the key change  did nothing
for her  voice.... hopefully it was only the pressure of singing it live
onstage.

What I've noticed about the contestants for this  particular season is that
for the first time since I  began following AI (from the 2nd season) I can hear
Taylor  Hicks sing....even when out of visual range..and recognize his  voice
immediately.  That has always been my criteria for an  interesting singer...a
vocalist whose voice was distinctive enough to  tell them apart from all
others.  Much as I like Katharine  McPhee....I can't distinguish her voice from
another.   Taylor has a particularly nice husky quality to his excellent Tenor
voice...and despite Simon Cowell not passing him through to  the finals...he
since admitted he was wrong, on air.

Taylor playing harmonica is an excellent bonus for those of us who  like
Blues harp.  I'd like him whether he played harp badly or not at  all, since -
like others here, I'm a huge Sam Cooke,  Ray Charles and  Stevie Wonder fan...and
despite some folks' spin on it, Mr. Hicks does  love those singers and is
paying homage to them, while putting  his own very distinctive stamp on the
Blues/R&B/Soul music he  loves.

He isn't a Professional....he's as surprised as everyone else  to have made
it to the finals, stating that he was simply "a guy  playing music in bars"
before this.  So I do disagree with Bobbie on  that point...he isn't anyone who
had a record contract...was just a  harp-playing Blues singer hoping for his
big break (as are so many  here).  I don't think Katharine is a "professional"
either,  despite her mother being a voice coach.  She's a 21 year old kid
whose nerves were so clearly obvious onstage, who has grown tremendously  with
each passing week.  They are ministered to by stylists, have a  clothes
budget...work with voice coaches, musicians..all of this  helps.

I've never cared for Fox, nor the way they present the show....I'm  also in
the camp who believes that there should be "one vote per telephone  number".
Unfortunately....a particular cellphone company is one  of the sponsors of the
show.....ergo their insistence on people  placing multi-calls and texting
messages. That's all money in the  bank...and what pays the bills.

 None of that matters to me, since my bottom line, the  pleasure I get... is
watching new talent rise through the  ranks.  Those who aren't tough enough to
handle the pressure  usually drop out (or don't garner the votes) early on.
>From the first time I heard Katharine McPhee, I believed  she might win the
contest.  Taylor was the dark horse....and I  hoped he might get into the top
4.  That he might actually win didn't  seem plausible...now that it's a good
possibility, I'm thrilled.

Regardless of whether people consider this show beneath their  dignity to
watch....it DOES provide a showcase for new  singers.  Taylor Hicks will have a
CD out in short order whether  he wins first place or second.  And there's no
doubt in my  mind that he will play his harmonica on any CD he makes.  That can
 only be good for recognition of our instrument...as you've said so  well.

....Just as I was about to send this, a news crew for  Fox interviewed Taylor
exiting the American Idol pavilion.....he  pulled out his harmonica and blew
a riff before chatting with the  reporter.  He carries his harp with him at
all times, as I've heard  most of you Blues guys do.  There's no question the
harmonica is in  for some real exposure, and since the idea of SPAH is purported
to be  "advancement" of the harmonica, this is a good thing, no?

Elizabeth