Re: [Harp-L] just intonation

TomEHarp wrote:
> the hering 1923 vintage harp is supposed to be just like
> the old marine bands. i don't quire understand just tuning.
> we all know c maj is CDEFGAB. whar does just tuning look
> like in the same scale ??

Let's not confuse tuning and intonation.  Tuning refers to the notes
to which the various reeds are tuned.  Intonation refers to the
small variations in pitch that control how a note blends with other
notes to make a chord.

For example, both a C Golden Melody (equally tempered intonation)
and a C Hering Vintage 1923 (just intonation) would be tuned to the
same notes:

C E G C E G C E G C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D G B D F A B D F A

and the difference would be only in the fine tuning.  Using the same
example, the 5 draw on the Golden Melody would be tuned precisely to
the reference pitch, while on the Vintage 1923 the same note would
be tuned some 29 cents flat of the reference pitch.  It's still an F
note, but on the Vintage 1923 the note makes a better sounding
chord.  To some, the F played as a single note, sounds unacceptably
flat.  What works for you depends on how you play and what you
expect to sound like.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps