[Harp-L] Stage Fright

Stage fright usually dissolves once you're on stage, because you have other stuff to think about - the music the notes, the equipment, the sound balance, etc.

If all you're doing is playing harmonica you can "hide behind" your instrument - I know this sounds weird, because the harmonica is tiny, but I hope you know what I mean.  Of course, this doesn't work if you're singing or if you're the whole show, a la a folksinger, guitarist, harpist.

Concentrate on communicating with the other musicians musically and you'll probably forget about the audience.

Have a drink or two but don't get drunk.

Realize the audience is rooting for you - they will tolerate some mistakes, or maybe not even notice them.  They are not hyper-critical, not nearly as critical as you are of yourself.

Know what you're doing.  It's a lot easier to feel confident if you know what you're going to play (if it's a band situation have a set list - nobody wants to see a band standing around staring at each other wondering what to play next).  If it's a jam, be comfortable with improvising over the music, and don't expect perfection.  Everybody's going to screw up a little.

Play from the heart and the audience will be on your side.