RE: [Harp-L] Positions are not exactly the same as modes (was: Modes, was 3rd Pos

From: "Gary Lehmann" <hqr@xxxxxxx>

I am reminded that there are blues players who use the chromatic and play in
third position through blues progressions. So the third is always minor, but
the tune is using all dominant chords--I usually think of blues progressions
as Mixolydian, so the IV would be correct, but the V would be a natural
minor scale over a dominant chord, so there's a couple of notes different--
Is this a good example of what the original post referred to?

Gary,
We must always remember that the blues breaks many "rules"
A minor 3rd sounds great against a 7th chord (#9)
the "bloes scale" sounds good against the entire progression.
the half-flat 3rd sounds great against the a 7th chord (singers often sing this instead of a true major 3rd.
go figure. this is what we want to hear

Michael Peloquin
http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg
http://www.harpsax.com