I mean, it seems like much more money is made by making 'em than blowin' 'em. Without the pro players, most of whom are, amazingly, struggling economically, there'd be no market for the pesky little devices. No harp player does it to get rich, rather because he or she is compelled to it even if it hurts, whereas manufacturers are only going to continue if it's profitable. So maybe some appreciation is warranted, yes?

-Dave Fertig
(PS: Fernando, that'll be a set of Sp20's with the hi and lo keys, please.)

At 10:13 PM 3/25/2006, you wrote:
From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] So do pro harp players still have to buy their
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:14:43 -0500

"Nate in the Blues Room" wrote:
<So do these top players like Piazza, Wilson, deLay etc etc still go
<into
<stores (or whatever) and purchase their harps over the counter?

I don't know any pros who get their harps, or any other gear, for free.

Sponsored pros are usually offered a discount that's a bit better than
over-the-counter retail, but not a whole lot better than what you'd get
from one of the several online dealers who specialize in harp gear, or
even from Musicians's Friend.

There are exceptions, but they're not frequent, and they're not
ongoing.  They're more likely when a manufacturer is trying to break
into a new market, and needs high-profile users.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com