Re: [Harp-L] What other instruments require both draw and blow actions?

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q30.html

Pretty much answers the question as fully as possible.

While the breath of a harmonica is unique (indeed, all mouth-blown instruments feel a bit more personal than most other instruments, IMO), the key feature is less that you breath through the instrument and more the bi-directional or bi-sonorous nature of the beast. The various bisonorous harmonicas (as oppossed to the few which play either in one direction or the same note blow and draw) share this particular feel with many of the other Western free-reed instruments such as the various diatonic accordions, the Anglo concertina, the Chemnitzer concertina (or properly conzertina) and the Bandoneon, to name the most common. Most East Asian free reeds do not have this property, as they are uni-sonorous, playing the same note on the blow and the draw (as the piano accordion does).

I find that while there are serious limitations inherent in a bisonorous design (legato, obviously, but also limited chord possibilities in most standard designs), there are also some distinct advantages--you get a very strong rhythmic sensability and capability from the directionality of the instrument (thus the prevelance of diatonic accordions in most folk dance-based traditions rather than the smoother piano or chromatic accordions). I have often thought about transferring this aspect to other instruments, however there really are few things other than the free-reed which give themselves to such a bi-directional system readily.

To me, this is one of the wonders of the free-reed, whether it be in the harmonica or the squeezebox family (reed-organs are always single- action--there have probably been some experiments the other way, but none that I know of), and something to be celebrated for the uniqueness of the beast.

Of course, I want a set of Sam Hinton's calliomonicas/pipe harmonicas--he really makes them sound like a miniature calliope.

(Which reminds me--I've needed to order his cd for far too long--I've heard clips, and it is truly amazing, he's a masterful musician and a wonderful harmonica player).

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'