Re: [Harp-L] Crate Palomino V16 Amp

Bachman wrote:
<I have been looking for a small amp for smaller clubs. My SJ Four-Ten
is
<just to much to lug around and not be able to crank up. I just got home
from
<Guitar Center with a Crate Palomino V16. Its a class A 15 watt w/ a 12"
<speaker. I have always preferred 8 or 10 inch speakers but this thing
really
<has a great sound. Any of you familier with this amp? Tube swaps that
would
<improve?

The great thing about a 12" speaker compared to an 8" or 10" is that you
get more bottom end, which is where harp is usually weakest.  So I'd
make sure first that you're using a mic that picks up the low end.

Not knowing the preamp tube configuration in the Crate v16, I can only
mention the usual.  The preamp tubes are probably 12AX7s; I presume
there are more than one.  You can replace one or two of these with a
12AY7 or 12AU7 tube. Check with an amp tech about what order to replace
them in. The Harp-L archives discuss this kind of replacement for amps
like the Fender Blues Junior, which is a comparable amp in terms of size
and power.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com