Re: RE: [Harp-L] Tuning by Cents makes Sense!

Ryan Hartt wrote:
> The tuning I got from here
> http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/hohnertuningsbyepping.html
> And the tuner I have is a Korg DT-2 that I've had for about 16
> years. I don't think they make them anymore and I'm sure there are
> other chromatic tuners that have a better graphic
> representation/division of cents.

I have a slightly different version of that chart describing the
Hohner classic compromise tuning.  It shows the 3rds on the blow
side (2/5/8) tuned to -10 cents, rather than -12.  Other than that
it's identical.

I have a Korg DT-3, which I assume is the successor to the DT-2,
that I used for tuning harmonicas for some years.  I replaced it a
few years ago with a Korg OT-12, which has some other interesting
features, like sound and sound back modes.  In sound mode, the tuner
plays a specified pitch, and you tune by listening to the reference
pitch.  In sound back mode, it hears a note you play and locates the
closest note and plays that reference pitch back.

For the last few years I've tuned exclusively with a Peterson mode
450 strobe tuner, and wouldn't change for anything.  I still keep
the portable chromatic tuners for times when it's impractical to
carry the strobe tuner (such as in my gig bag!), but I hate using
anything but the strobe.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps