Re: [Harp-L] Happy Harmonica?

On Mar 19, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Snaruhn@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

if not harp-L then nobody may answer the question whether "Happy Harmonica"
is the name of a harp band or just the title of any harp band´s recording.

The Boris Draper orchestra did a happy harmonica vinyl LP. Also TWO happy harmonica vinyl LPs were put out by Stagg McMann (I am TOLD). There are NO indications on the albums that they were done by Hugh McCaskey (Stagg McMann), but I have been assured by a good source that they were. They are multi tracked and have as many as 6 parts NOT including the bass & chord. Leo Diamond was famous for multi tracking much earlier (40s-50s) and would do a complete 9 part arrangement all by himself. This was what you were hearing.

One was called Happy Harmonica 'Show Stoppers'
The other was Happy Harmonica (in big pink and grey letters)

I had both and last month I gave them to a friend visiting from Mich. I thought 'Savoy Stomp' was also exceptional.
smo-joe

Recently, I visited a harp friend and suddenly he put on an old black record
he found on a flea market. The label neither marked who was playing nor how
many harp players are acting but only that it was recorded in 1976 in UK, the
played tunes and in big lettters the title "Happy Harmonica".

I recognized at least 6 or 7 players and specially remarkable was their
performance
of "American patrol" and "In the mood". It was not the usual arrangement
for
harps but these amazing guys played the immortal evergreens almost exactly
as known by the Glen Miller band.

Anybody there who can give some details on "Happy Harmonica"?

Siegfried