Re: [Harp-L] Pre-amps

Joe Ferbeats wrote:
>     Back in my salad days, I received the best harp advice EVER
> from Mr. Stress ...
>   he told me about the Astatic and Green Bullet mics and said to
> always use a pre-amp between your mic and the amp!
<snip>
>       If you can "dial-in" a nice "volume-to-gain" ratio BEFORE
> the signal hits the amp/p.a/ whatever; the amplifier doesn't have
> to be overdriven as hard to get "that" sound.

I use a tube pre-amp.  In my case it's a PAiA TubeHead which I built
from a kit (http://www.paia.com/tubestuf.htm).  It has both a solid
state and a tube (single 12AX7) preamp stage, and you can dial the
amount of tube compression using a pre/post "blend" control.  I use
one channel on tube for and overdriven sound and one channel on
solid state for a "clean" sound.

I run the output of the tube head through a couple of effects boxes
(Alesis Midiverb IV and Alesis DEQ230) before boosting the signal
with a solid state amplifier.  This lets me dial the tone regardless
of the volume, and also gives me a line-level out I can run to the
PA.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps