Re: [Harp-L] Rockford Files...

Obviously I can't speak for Tommy (for whom, by the way, I have tremendous respect,) but:

For film or TV music, it's up to the producer (or composer) as to what kind or style of playing they want. Ultimately what stays on the track is what *they* want to stay on the track.

I think the playing on Rockford fits exactly right when one considers the Jim Rockford character as portrayed by James Garner: a sort-of carefree L.A. private eye bachelor who lives in a cluttered trailer on the beach, can't keep up with his taxes or payroll, gets involved in a scam now and then, enjoys his beer, his love life is a mess, etc etc. It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Mike Post didn't *want* the harmonica to be too dead-on perfect... Hell, Tommy Morgan can play anything -- he's a pro's pro.

Although I haven't done nearly as many sessions as Tommy, on more than one occasion doing TV music I have been asked to "play down" -- to actually play worse. This can happen when a producer wants to make a certain musical point -- albeit, a point that sometimes I can't see, don't understand, or think is BS. But then, hey, it's their money so I shut my trap and do it. <shrug> I can't count the number of times I've heard in the studio, "More Dylanesque!" or "Make it more campfire!" It's pretty rare that studio players get a real chance to stretch out and show what they can do. Rather, we're simply expected to be musical extensions of a producer's (or composer's) artistic vision -- like it or not. As Dr John puts it, "If I don't do it, somebody else will..."

Sure beats a career in Pizza Delivery, tho -- which is why I answer the phone each and every time it rings. :)

cheers,
Tom Ball
http://www.tomball.us
http://www.tomballkennysultan.com

Can anyone tell me why whoever played on Rockford Files played it so sloppy?

Was it that basic disdain for diatonic that some accomplished old school
chromatic players seem to have for the diatonic, thus never having honed any
bending or tonal chops on that instrument?

Maybe (I doubt it) the producer demanded slop that sounded like someone who
had been playing diatonic for 3 months.

there, I said it, I feel better. I feel that the more that there is sloppy
harmonica in the mainstream, the more that it sets us back as musicians.

Michael Peloquin http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg http://www.harpsax.com

From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Eddie Gordon has also claimed that he was first to record the Sesame
Street theme for PBS, even though Toots Thielemans was used for the