RE: [Harp-L] Non-Oskar Tombo Diatonics

Anyone else have any experience with Tombo diatonics not bearing the Lee Oskar name? I know they're not distributed in North America, but a couple of years ago a European friend brought me a couple of Tombo Ultimos he purchased in a shop in Paris. >-tim

You don't see them too often but you can get Tombo Folk Blues harmonicas here (UK). They are slightly cheaper than Lee Oskars but are to most intents and purposes constructed the same way (reed plates and covers are interchangeable). The couple I've had have not quite come up to the level of quality control of Lee Oskars, but it's nothing that a few minutes' fine-tuning and gapping can't put right. If you see them they worth grabbing. The snag for you American types is that you can't buy them your end and they are a lot more expensive this end, as are all harps when compared with US prices.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm