Fwd: [Harp-L] Should I lubricate the slider thingee on Chrom, if so, with what?

Water is your best slide lubricant.

Just about anything else will gum up the works/melt your
valves/poison you/taste bad/go rancid. Or any combination thereof.

In what way does the slide seem "dry" - are the parts rubbing
together in a scratchy sort of way? If so, you might want to check
alignemnt  of the parts, makes sure they're clean, make sure the
mouthpiece screws are tightened optimally (not so loose they let it
leak air but not so tight that the slide binds against the
neighboring surfaces.

If the parts are clean and free of foreign matter, assembled so that
they are properly seated and aligned, with mouthpiece tighened
optimally (tighen each screw until the slide binds, then back off
about a quarter turn) and the slide still rubs or binds, then check
that the mputhpiece and its housing parts are flat and smooth. Bends
and burrs need to be straightened (careful hand bending) and smoothed
(sanding with fine - 600-plus - sandpaper on a hard flat surface).

There's plenty in the archive both here and at SlideMeister about
slide-mouthpiece issues.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nate in the Blues Room"
<thebluesroom@...> wrote:

Hello,
I purchased my first "working" chromatic harp today,
washed it and have reassembled it. YEAH!!

Any recommendations for lubricating the slide thingee
on a Chromatic harmonica as it seems a little dry?

Should the slide be dry or lubricated with something?
If lubed ... with what?

Regards,
Nate
--