[Harp-L] Lungs/ PT

At 04:48 AM 3/1/2006, you wrote:
From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Breath Control is worth learning and aids
        harpplaying

I don't see it as a set back because I've turned into a groovy funky
mofo... the point is my capacity hasn't come back or in other words
it hasn't increased. I'm certianly not sick any more.

Have you taken any specific therapy /training to regain it?

If someone, say, injured their leg or arm we wouldn't at all be surprised that mobility was limited until after a course of very specific PT. I think people feel somehow differently about the lungs and other organs, which require PT just as much as an arm, leg, or whatever.

According to this commercial enterprise, lung capacity can be expanded:

http://www.lungpower.com/site/1263408/page/761915

and, here's a mouthful (particularly interesting to BLUES harp players, because of the 'inspiratory'):
Measurement of inspiratory muscle performance with incremental threshold loading.
Martyn, J. B., Moreno, R. H., Par , P. D. and Pardy, R. L. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis 135(9):19-23, 1987

"As for other skeletal muscles, ventilatory muscle performance can be described in terms of strength and endurance. Ventilatory muscle strength is measured as the maximum inspiratory and expiratory mouth pressures and values for normal subjects have been published. Measurements of ventilatory muscle endurance are more difficult and 2 general types of tests have been used: voluntary hyperpnoea and inspiratory threshold loading. Recently, Nickerson and Keens described a method to measure inspiratory muscle endurance involving the latter technique. Using a weighted inspiratory plunger they defined the sustainable inspiratory pressure (SIP).

Using a similar apparatus, it has been shown that breathing patterns may influence the measurement of ventilatory muscle endurance. The learning of an effective strategy to manage inspiratory pressure loads may influence the measurement of SIP."

** Media Production for the New Millennium **
** http://www.oz.net/~jeric/index.htm **
** "Mammon, of course is no friend to purity, but purity **
** doesn't put 200 tons of structural steel into orbit." **