Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Overblows

Yeah, the Harry Fox Agency web site lets you buy mechanical license for both hard copies (cd's) and download licensing (if you are posting a song written by someone else on a website for download, for instance). You can obtain limited quantity licenses on line for a not-too-horrendous fee. Usually, I believe, the money is split by the publisher and the author and Harry Fox takes a fee for processing. Not all songs are administered by Harry Fox, but most of them are. Note that this is also a great site to find out who the authors of a song are if you don't already know:

http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

- Slim.

http://www.SlideManSlim.com

EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

....I think you answered how you're feeling about it yourself, Alvin....in your first line...."steals" blues covers. The music is just as much copyrighted as are the lyrics to a song...aren't instrumentals also the property of their writers? I believe you need permission from the owners of any song before you record it...it's been posted here before just where to obtain that permission, but I don't remember who posted it..but here's a link I found online you might want to take a look at. (I just did a quick scan and they mention the Harry Fox Agency which I do believe might have been the one previously mentioned here).

_Click here: Music Copyright -- Guides -- Multnomah County Library_ (http://www.multcolib.org/guides/copyright/music_pub.html)

Elizabeth