[Harp-L] Damien Masterson - Chromatic Harmonica Blues

Thanks for the clarification, Tim. And something worth noting, as well - Ab, in my mind, is a much better key to play the blues on with the chromatic harmonica that G, even though both of them have distinct advantages and detractors.

A final note on the chromatic blues - and I hope that everyone can agree on this: The most important factor in playing the blues on ANY instrument is SOUL. If you can't "play it like you mean it" then forget it! I believe that's the one big factor that stops most well known chromatic players from kicking major ass on a blues, is that their playing tends to be more technical and less emotive. I'm not entirely convinced that it's by choice, some people are just more subdued by nature. Sorry guys, calling it like I see it.
I started playing Blues harmonica (10 hole) at the age of 14, now well over 20 years ago. I wanted to express myself like Sonny Boy, like Little Walter, like Sonny Terry. That's all I wanted. Although I switched to the chromatic at 15, and started playing sax at 16, that desire never changed. But it's HARD! The chromatic is not as flexible as the diatonic. If it weren't for Stevie Wonder, who I consider the true master of soul/blues chromatic harmonica, I'm not sure if ever I would have been pushed beyond the norm as far as expressing my pain on the chromatic.
There are some fine players out there. Toots can make a grown man cry! But to play the "blues" on chromatic, one has to dedicate an absurd amount of time mastering tone, air flow, trying different models, working with technicians and spending, inevitably, lots of money and energy getting there.
I'll repeat my recommendations for those who want to hear very soulful chromatic - All of Stevie Wonders' playing. Tollak Ollestad (http://www.tollak.com) is a phenomenal player, and like me he has prioritized expression and feeling over technical chops, also he plays keys, composes and has backed up really famous people like Don Henley. Bill Barrett has some really nice stuff, and albeit a deconstructionist or "iconoclast", plays some really cool, original chrom. There are other players who have risen above the norm and really said something for a minute, but as far as that "one note" that moves you inside and puts your eyes all watery, there aren't many chromatic players doing that on a regular basis. That's my goal. Tell me when I get there.

For those of you less investigative harp-l 'ers, I am posting a link from my website for "Joe's Fried Chicken", from my first C.D. "Intercambio". For the poster who made a comment about "mostly brazilian" music, you obviously don't own the CD. Anyway, it's 10 years old now, I've been playing twice as long. I'll let you all know when the next one comes and and learn to toot my own horn a little better:

http://www.damienmasterson.com/mp3s/intercambio/joes-fried-chicken.mp3

Speaking of which, I won't see you guys at SPAH this year, I've been invited to participate in the Asian Pacific Harmonica Festival in Taiwan. See you there. And PRACTICE!

Damien Masterson

Damien Masterson  http://www.damienmasterson.com
or enter my name in any search engine
415 305 7138   damienzm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones