Fwd: [Harp-L] Chromatic Blues - NOT Mike Turk

Damien -

That's a really nice snippet. The cool thing is, it's second position
(G on a C chromatic) and it's not that far from basic blues - some
leadin-ins to chords form a semitone above and some slide-in sheets of
notes to go with it, that sort of thing. While Damien has monster
chops, even the fast passages in this snippet are not *that* hard to
playy if you do a normal amount of shedding on your scales and arpeggios.

Even a really great player like Damien will exploit the stuff the
chromatic does naturally in order to be fluent - which I think is
Elizabeth's main point - fluency of expression. This little recording
is a nice example of what can be done to expand beyond what everyone
else is doing nowadays.

There are some people playing 3rd and 10th position blues beautifully,
but it's noce to bust the doors open and see who else lives in the
building and on the grounds of this fine estate.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Damien Masterson
<damienzm@...> wrote:

Tim,

    Thanks for the post, but that's not MIke Turk, that's me. That was
the solo I played over "Stormy Monday" in Howard Levy's "Harp Summit"
in Minneapolis. That's Howard talking just after the applause finishes.
He made a comment how the chromatic slide allows you to create grace
notes, one of the few things one actually can't do on a 10 hole. I'm
impressed that was recorded. Unfortunately, if none of you couldn't
identify that wasn't Mike's playing, it says something about how much
of him and me you're really listening to. If you don't believe me, ask
Turk, he'll verify that's not his sound.

     Thanks Tim! I'm going to download that clip. Did you record that?
I'll never forget that #11 lick I played over the Db7, I still remember
that solo. Now it's captured forever! Here's the link for those of you
who didn't listen yet...

    http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/other/Mike%20Turk%20Solo.mp3