Re: [Harp-L] Monitors - Low Harp content

bryan wrote:
> Anyone have experience with Wireless Monitor systems.  My 4 piece
> band is considering purchasing a system.  How do vocals/harp sound
> sound through them?

One of the bands I sit in with uses in-ear wireless monitors, and I
borrow a set (supply my own earbuds) when I play with them.  They're
great for some things: you can set your own levels and hear what you
want to hear; they keep the stage volumes low because there's no
need for stage-balanced sound; assuming you've got them dialed once,
they're fast to set up, and you're not at the mercy of a sound man
to hear yourself in the mix.  But they do have some downsides: they
inhibit communication on stage, since you can't hear much that's not
coming through the monitors.  This is exacerbated for guys who might
be sitting in who DON'T have in-ears and use traditional floor wedge
monitors (voice of experience here).  We use an on-stage mic to call
tunes and keys and talk between band members, but the drummer is
effectively cut out of this loop, since he can't walk around to the
stage mic.

In short, they can help your sound a lot, particularly what you're
doing when you're not at the top of the mix, but they're not a
perfect solution.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps