Re: [Harp-L] Using a glass

On Jun 13, 2006, at 5:40 AM, Jason Ricci wrote:

I can't remember the first time I saw a glass/mute used with a
harmonica...Mad cat, Howard,...I don't know...It's a super old technique
like some one said already. Jnr Wells refers to it in his hot licks
instructional video as a way to get to get amplified sort of sound etc...Any
way I will tell you that I believe no one is better at this technique than
Dennis Gruenling. It goes so far beyond just using the glass, mic technique
and glass technique/tone with him. After listening to Dennis play with the
glass it was obviously apparent to me that he had listened very carefully to
some of the trumpet players who had played with mutes in the past/current
days.

That's why 'I' used it. Until my face was crushed, I played trumpet and the idea was to copy Clyde McCoys 'Sugar Blues" on harp and to put in all the growls and chortles. Denny is one of my faves and I always enjoy his schticks. p.s. we were talking about you down at the Beached Whale t'other night.
smo-joe

This was clear not only by the tonal properties and tonal
immitations/replecations but also by his NOTE CHOICE and PHRASING, VIBRATO
and other techniques added. There are great things you can do with a mute
and some work way better than others. Dennis has found most of them and
inspired me to play the thing once a night. I have tried not to let the
sound of the thing dictate what/how I'm gonna play but it's hard after
hearing D.G. Do it. Additionally on a side note I won't do it if the sound
and or sound man sucks.
Jason