[Harp-L] Howard Levy on Prarie Home Companion

A couple of weeks ago I listened to Garrison Keeler's A Prarie Home
Companion on NPR. It was a re-broadcast of a live May 10, 2003
performance with Howard Levy, Robin and Linda Williams and others.
Among other amazing musical treats - several of which aren't available
on the web site - Howard Levy performed Bei Mir Bist du Schoen.  Bei
Mir Bist du Schoen was a #1 hit in the 1930's  for Benny Goodman (the
song pre-dated him from the 20's) and was a huge hit with The Andrews
Sisters in the '40's.

This is some of the baddest-ass harmonica I've heard in a long time.

I play that song very poorly on clarinet and have known the song for
more than 40 years. It can actually be played quite satisfactorily in
slant harp but Howard takes it to another level as might be expected.

Check out HL's version at:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/20030510/

Unfortunately you'll need Real Audio.

There's some other HL tracks on that page.

Bobby

P.S. Y'all ever notice how fjm never uses commas?