RE-Subject: [Harp-L] Digitech Vx400 users aboard?

clipped from the Vx400 discussion with Randy and Ludo:

  "> I'm still in dubio whether to simply go for a 2nd hand POD or stick
> with this vx400.
YOU MAY FIND THE POD DOES NOT GET CLEAN ENOUGH.
I SWITCH MIKES FOR BEST RESULTS. FOR CLEAN, MY AUDIX, FOR DIRTY, MY
CUSTOM TURNER/SURE MIKE"

  I've got a question about the two mic scenario. Seems like you need mics with similar gain to make that practical if you want to switch quickly between mics.

  I use the Vx400 with a Shure beta57 to do harp and sax.  Playing off the mic with the sax the sound stays clean and I have a couple patches with some minimal effects. For harp by cupping the mic I can get a dirty sound  and add effects, change the eq, etc. Very convenient, one mic, one line into the PA and works great at gigs. I like it alot.

  At the start of every gig I adjust the input gain on the back of the unit so it overdrives when I play cupped but clean as I come back off the mic some.  Then I leave it alone.

  I tried experimenting with a Green Bullet or an Astatic into the 1/4 inch input and the Shure 57 into the XLR input.  But I couldn't really get one gain setting on the back of the unit that would work with both mics. And it's not in a spot where you want to be messing with it on the fly.

  Maybe by adjsuting things in the patches I could compensate for the fact that the signal from the 57 was a lot hotter. But it got too complcated and way too easy to start some screaming feedback if I wasn't real careful.

  Suggestions, comments?

  Bill Houle