RE: [Harp-L] Volume and egos and Atlanta note.

My tuppence:
Most recordings have an optimal volume, where the dynamic ranges for all the
instruments is correct.  Listening at the "wrong level" often (but not
always) obscures some of this.
Sound pressure, particularly for base is important - you can play to feel as
much as hear, which ups the entire band volume.  Lead guitar too - if you
are playing for feedback effects, or for MAIN amp distortion, then volume
and positioning are significant.
However
- If you are playing regularly at these volumes, you need to wear plugs, or
you will be deaf.  The excitement of the feel from the volume is only one
aspect of your performance.
- For the audience, "pain" level means that they will rarely be listening to
the finer aspects of your music.  Some genres suit loud, particularly
dance-oriented stuff, where feeling the beat is part of the experience.
Independent tests show these people often have hearing loss....
Acoustic sets have their place, and personally, I like sitting and being
able to distinctly hear good musicians, but then that's my taste.  Many
punters and band members just like a solid wall of sound, but it's hard to
argue overload should be anything other than a very transient effect.

Mike