[Harp-L] Review of Helge Tallqvist - Plays George "Harmonica" Smith

I got this CD yesterday and here is a quick review of it.

Helge Tallqvist and his band do a magnificent job on this CD.
They have nailed the George Smith sound to a tee. But don't be fooled into thinking that these tracks are a mere exercise in playing covers.
Helge puts his own personal stamp on each track and has the kind of tone that we all wish we had, you know the kind. That tone that just goes on for days, big ,fat, full bodied and ripped.
I don't think I have heard a tone this good since I heard Dennis Gruenling.

I won't review the individual tracks, but what I will say is that there is a not a single weak track on this CD.
The CD itself contains a recording of George Smith talking on his porch to Helge and others and makes for a brief insight into a man that most of us never had the chance to get to know. George sure must have been a lot of fun if this short track is anything to go by.

Helge Tallqvist has to be one of the best blues harp players in the world and certainly deserves his place alongside people such as Rod Piazza, Mark Hummel, James Harman, Rick Estrin, Dennis Gruenling and Kim Wilson.

I would recommend this CD to everybody who loves George Smith. Buy this and you will not be disappointed at all!!

Paul