Re: [Harp-L] Slightly Off-Topic (was Jaco & Toots Video)

At 02:08 PM 6/10/2006, Planet Harmonica wrote:
I was wondering about something. My understanding is that YouTube and
Google Video and all the rest are fed in by users, is that correct ?

In that case, how do the rights things work ? I mean obviously this
Jaco video was shot for TV, someone's got to own the rights ?

Devil and the Deep Blue Sea? Rock and the proverbial Hard Place?

Like you, Ben, as you might guess, I'm all for freedom of information, sharing ideas, collective growth for the betterment of wo/man-kind, yada, yada... right?

As I also suspect of you, there is a dark side to freedom, that engenders deception, disrespect and even disregard of those whose expression has been usurped. Lately, my scope is that public disclosure will invite public exposure... so think it over, Rover!

Yet, may I criticize?

I'm not worried about the rights aspects actually (I'm one of these crazy terrorists who believe that, as long as the artists may a decent living, music should be shared)

A little scary, my friend. So, if you are rich, it's ok to steal from you? Who's level do you want to rise, or sink, to?

but I've got loads of videos collected over the years that I'd gladly upload, except I don't want to receive a cease and desist of any kind.

I think you've answered your own dilemma.

I think,
Bobbie
<http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.htm>http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.htm