Re: [Harp-L] Easy to learn jazz instrumentals

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jay Thompson"
<jay.jmt@...> wrote:

> I'd appreciate some suggestions for easy jazz
instrumentals for diatonic
> harp [I haven't started overblowing yet]. I'm
thinking of songs similar to
> Herbie Mann's Comin' Home Baby.
> Thanks for the suggestions in advance.
> Jay

this sounds like it should be a fun topic. it sounds
like you're already working towards it, but i suggest
you start practicing overblows. you may be able to
play jazz without it, but if you're committed to the
diatonic and to jazz, you'll wan to be able to play
chromatically (imho).
that said -- "easy" jazz tunes... i don't know Herbie
Mann's tune, so i hope these aren't far afield, but
i'd start with the ones that diatonic players have
already covered: one of the very big ones is "The Work
Song" by Nat Adderley. Paul Butterfield played it in
2nd position, but you may want to try it in 3rd so
that you can get as close to the original as possible.
(there may be other good positions for it, i dunno).
also, "Watermelon Man" by Herbie Hancock (covered by
Adam Gussow). also good in 3rd. you may technically
need overblows to play these exactly, but you can
still get very very close and still good versions
without the OBs. Similarly, there's "Can't Get Around
Much Anymore" (covered by Big Walter Horton and Adam
Gussow both). Butterfield did a few other jazz covers
i think - "Loaded" is one, i think, on his Cd with
Walter Horton. (and coincidentally, i heard he played
a mean "Take the A Train" i have no idea how). i'm
trying to think of others on diatonic sans overblows,
but i'm blanking at the moment...

  --Jp