Re: [Harp-L] re: simple tunes

Yes, you can certainly choose to look at it that way. Just goes to show how different folks react differently to music. I had the opposite impression of Toots' version -- it is the essence of musicality to me -- relaxed, hip, and beautiful, like most of his work. To me, jazz is about interpretation, finding the sweet spot on your instrument. If you want the other kind of perfection, plug the notes into a sequencer and you're done. I agree (and who wouldn't?) that the harmonica is not as versatile as piano, sax, guitar, etc.. when it comes to interval jumps, although corner switching can certainly help. But for me, it's simply a question of what sounds good in the moment and whether or not there's something unique and compelling the harmonica player can add in a particular context.

- Slim.

http://www.SlideManSlim.com

Jonathan Ross wrote:

Slim wrote:

"Well, Toots has some fun with this tune on his "Apple Dimple" album (1990). He takes it at a pretty slow clip, but I suspect he could cut it up to tempo ;-)"

He sounds to be struggling mightily at the tempo he uses, so I sincerely doubt he'd be better faster. Really, I don't consider that he makes it very musical--the part after the jumps where you have a couple of quick slide runs just sounds muddy, where it has to be clean and clear. I'm able to do about this well (not to compare myself to Toots in general, just on this particularly difficult piece) and I don't consider it satisfactory by any means.