Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: re: how much do you get paid for a gig?

Chris Michalek wrote:
> Think of it this way.  There is nobody on this list that could sub
> for Robert Bonfiglio or Howard Levy in a heartbeat if something
> drastic where to happen to one of them and the "show must go on"
>
> In any other musical world like, bass, guitar, piano, sax etc....
> there are literally 10s of 1000s of players that could sub for
> another person in an instant. In fact, in those worlds, death or
> illness etc is often the doorway to opportunity.

Well, I think you need to think of it this way: Howard Levy and Robert
Bonfiglio represent a couple of people at the pinnacle of the game for
what they do.  You couldn't just run out and hire a sub bass player
for someone like Victor Wooten or a sub guitarist for Charlie Hunter.
On the other hand, if Jimmy Buffet came through town and needed
someone to cover Fingers Taylor's parts, or Willie Nelson needed
someone to cover for Mickey Raphael, it's not so hard to find
excellent players of that caliber.

I know if I paid to see Howard Levy I'd be pissed if anyone else
subbed for him, and likewise for Mr. Bonfiglio.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/