[Harp-L] Why I love Playing for Free.

I played for free yesterday. Great gig at a friend's house--3 kegs of beer. The band got $60.00 when the hat was passed, $20.00 gas money to the the guy who trucked in the PA and $40.00 for the drummer as a thank you for sitting in.

Playing for free in a relaxed setting is a great chance to try out new and original material.Our main vocalist/rhythm guitarist wasn't able to show (he had an old time acoustic gig) so the harp got more stage time. Usually I only play quick solos but I did a lot of chording and accompanying. Did a lot more singing too.

Since we're playing for friends (drunk friends at that) we could stretch out more. I did an extended solo on Turn on Your Love Light, I played dorian harp on Surf Rider. The guy throwing the party is a harp player so we put him on stage. He had a blast.

We were fed. There was lots of beer. We started playing at 4.30 and were packed up and home by 9.30 so that was relaxing.

Stress free. Hang out with friends. Play what we want to play. Beautiful day. Beautiful location. It's what life is about.

Oh yeah, we went over some of the tunes with the bass player that morning for the first time. She's a real trooper. She did damn good considering.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm