[Harp-L] Re: sit-in stories

In the fall of 1971, when I was 19, I was out in Colorado, and a couple of cowboys decided my hair was too long, so they poured a handful of sand into the oil intake of my car. A few days later in Denver, while my engine was being rebuilt, I met Lee Oskar, and he invited me to come hear his band -- War, of course.

I listened to that band all night for 3 nights, and man were they great. On the third night, Lee motioned me to get up and jam with the band. That was my first jam onstage with a name band, and I was so nervous that my legs were shaking. To put it bluntly, it wasn't good. At all. Lee is a generous guy by nature, and he did his best to turn it into a learning experience for me, but I was very, very disappointed in myself.

19 years later, Lee and War played a club in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and I went to see them again. By then it was customary for the band to bring people onstage to jam on "why can't we be friends." For the second time in my life, Lee motioned me to come up and play. Howard Scott, the guitarist, handed me the mic, and his expression indicated clearly that he was expecting the worst as he said to me "go ahead, man." This time I was plenty ready, and I turned in one of my best jam performances, capping it with a 2-harp jam with Lee.

The next day, I was sitting with Lee at Logan airport when Scott arrived. He looked at me and said "You're the harp player, right?"
"Uh huh," I said.
"You're awesome, man," Scott said, and added as he turned his head to coolly check out the room, "and I seen 'em all, baby."

There are not many second chances in life. That was a big one for me.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com