Re: [Harp-L] how much are you getting paid at your gigs?

In the Twin Cities area, which is essentially a waste of time at the moment for several reasons, we make about $300 a night.

  Everywhere else we make $400-$600 for a night of music depending on the situation.  Festivals and other short term work is negotiable upon the situation.

  We always charge $50 more for doing our own sound.  If we have to play specific set times and take specific set breaks, the price goes up too.  I hate having to play 45min sets or having to play 4 sets.  Usually we do three sets and the first one is always the longest at an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half.  The rest is by feel.

  Set breaks always give people an excuse to leave.  They are also the only time we sell CDs.

  Mike

  --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tim Moyer"
wrote:

Cara Cooke wrote:
> It sounds like we really do need light rail -- between Austin and
> Phoenix! I wonder if we would have to make special arrangements
> for my bass fiddle in the bluegrass band?

Southwest airlines has 10 flights a day between Austin and Phoenix.
Will that upright fit securely under the seat in front of you or in
the overhead compartment?

Let's see, a $1200 gig, split four ways is $300 each. The "internet
special" pricing on the plane ticket is $150 each way, then there's
the $30 cab fare to/from both airports, or $30/day to rent a car
plus
gas plus parking your own car at the departure airport, an overnight
hotel (unless you can bunk with a friend, or find a red-eye flight
home). Sounds to me like the net loss would only be a couple of
hundred dollars.

-tim