RE: [Harp-L] A vibrato related question

Hi Michelle,

*Maybe Chris is right, barely can it be called vibrato, but rather some
vibrato-like rhythmic head-striking sound effect.

Maybe you or even Ronnie could record several passes at the vibrato
technique using only one effect at a time? That might help isolate the
contribution of each of the underlying techniques.

**
That's a quite interesting idea. I don't have technical capabilities to
record video and put it online, though it could be an audio project. I'm
actually writing an article on the vibrato technique analysing some
interesting aspects of the technique. Maybe it will materialize in the
audio samples.

Absolutely. In my case, I know that I'm constantly working on my
vibrato
technique(s) and that for a while I've been trying to improve my
diaphragmatic vibrato in particular. So I agree that I probably am
thinking
"diaphragm-centric." On the other hand, I am a life-long whistler, and
fairly decent one at that, so I have done a lot of tongue vibrato with
my
whistling. I easily transferred that to my harping. But, I haven't
achieved
what I'd like to in terms of the "depth" of my tongue vibrato, and
that
agrees with the advice I've received from a number of more experienced
harpers. They've suggested that I scuttle my tongue vibrato and
concentrate
on my diaphragmatic one.

***
Recently I came across a great research article on vibrato technique
for the wind instruments, and the outcome of the analysis is that even
different types of vibrato are great at different passages of a given
theme it is mandatory for a contemporary performer to master a so-called
combined or enriched vibrato. This type of vibrato is analysed and
recommendations are offered. Very interesing and actually some 99%-true
approach.Though difficult to achieve on a harmonica but possible. The
aricle is not in English, though I plan to incorporate useful stuff in
my analysis which is gonna be in English.

As for the whistling, I'm not a whistler though I am a member of the
orawhistle group on Yahoo.

I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying about adding more
emotions...
****
Well I meant depth of the sound and soulful aura.

And, Alex, I hope you are going to SPAH, because I'd like to meet you
and
talk more about this and other methodology-related stuff. You have a
terrific command of the English language as well as harmonicology, the
former of which is particularly impressive since, if I'm not mistaken,
English is not your first language... The two together add up to a
fella I'd
like to meet!  8^)

*****
Michelle, I still can't attent SPAH convention already for the 4th
time. 3 imes when being in the U.S.(shame of me) and now for the reason
of extensive and costly travel. I live in the city of origin of Borrah
Minevitch and it's quite far from the U.S. Plus it's practically
impossible to leave for the U.S. because of the visa regime, which
requires an exernal invitation and a bunch of other things. Yes, you are
right English is not my native language, though thanks for the
compliments:) I'd be glad to meet of course and discuss things relating
to the harmonica technique, etc. Hope it will become a reality in the
near future, I'm working on that.