Re: [Harp-L]Ipod to record your shows?

it's going to depend on which iPod you have. if you
have the newest generation of iPod, it will record at
decent bit rates (comparable to CD quality, as i
understand it), but you still need to wait for a good
mic/recorder to come out (by recorder i'm talking
about the unit with the recording software in it that
will plug into the iPod). if you have an older iPod,
you're basically not going to be able to record
anything worthwhile. the recording quality is
deliberately ham-strung to stop people from recording
their own music, and it's barely good for recording
even conversations. i've got lots of recordings made
on older iPods usinf iTalk and other methods
(including the Linux + mic method, which has its own
serious issues, though sound quality was better than
with iTalk) and i would have been better off you using
an old voice recorder ;)
so... short answer is, not yet, but maybe soon, it
will be an OK on-the-fly recording device.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "James
Sterett" <jsterett@...> wrote:

> with Randy mentioning these more economical methods
of gig recording...it got me wondering because I have
an IPod, which I really enjoy as a player, just
looking to see if I can get more out of it...  Thanks.

> Jim.

> I've stated quite a few times that
www.taperssection.com is the best place to research
this stuff....

> from what I have read the iPod is NOT a worthwhile
method of recording.  If you're looking for a
recording solution then I suggest you check out
www.taperssection.com or www.oade.com go to the tapers
section.