From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tim Moyer
Sent: 26 July 2006 13:31
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Studio Charge for Harmonica

Chris Michalek wrote:
> There are exceptions to the rule but playing for $50 a night is
> underselling yourself no matter what your skill level.

A guitarist friend of mine likes to quote a musician who said there are
three things that motivate us to play (in no particular order): 1)
having fun, 2) advancing ourselves musically, and 3) making money.  A
gig of any type -- studio, live performance, etc. -- should satisfy two
of the three or it's not worth it.  In other words, if you're
*just* having fun, or *just* making money, it's not worth it.

Lately, I've had to satisfy myself with 1) and 2).  There's no money in
live music at my level.

-tim