[Harp-L] Re: Studio Charge for Harmonica

Matt writes:

As a relatively unknown, but skilled player with one professional recording
under his belt. What could I charge if I was asked to play on a record or to
record a session? Per hour...lump sum?

First, I think Chris meant $100 a song and $150 per hour

Rates will vary from time to time.  If you think you can nail the song (and the
rest of the musicians can nail the song), go ahead and charge by the song.  I
wouldn't charge less than $100 per song.  If you think the session might have a
lot of "do-overs", punching in and out, then I'd consider an hourly rate.
Again, I would charge less than $100 an hour.  Try to find out what other
musicians are being paid.  Harmonica players should NOT be paid less than other
instruments.  If there is a price differential it should be based on the quality
of the player.  People pay more for a name sideman.

Good Luck and let us know how your sessions go.

Play Well All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com