Re: [Harp-L] 2 questions about amplification

Hi Hammer. I build harp amps for a living but I'll be the first to tell you that nothing you buy will give you that
Chicago tone you're looking for in an amp. However, you say that your tone is good so I would suggest a bit
of practice with the mic without the amp first. Concentrate on getting a good solid somewhat airtight grip on the mic.
When your playing is quite muffled your on the right track. I'm not too farmiliar with the Blues Junior but typically
a bit more bass and a bit less treble is a good start. I like the mid's all the way off on all amps (less feedback prone
and the harp is a pretty mid heavy instrument already). If the amp has a presence control turn it up a bit. Add and subtrtact
to your liking to get what your after.

There are folks on this list that will give you better info for that amp and other helpful tips. Try to work on a couple at a
time so you don't get overloaded. Before you know it you'll be hearing what you want. Just remember that it takes time.

Scooter

Hi -
I am a fairly experienced harp player (and have pretty good acoustic tone), but don`t consider myself an expert on amplification - here are two questions that I`d love some tips about from any of you harplers out there:
1- I currently own a JT30 mic (with volume control) and a Fender Blues Junior amp. Can any one give me tips on the best way to adjust the settings to get a nice fat mellow "classic Chicago blues" sound from it?

2-I remember seeing people mention using pre-amps or amp -simulators plugged into the PA to get that tube-amp tone (without having to carry the amp) - any recommendations on devices like that?

I know that these subjects have been discussed in the past, so I`ll be glad to get replies offlist, too

Thanks!

Hammer