Fwd: [Harp-L] new harmonica player expanding the sonic possibilities of the har

Randy -

Very cool! This guy is on at least two other CDs at the same site (one
of them being a harmonica band doing some rather unusual things).
There seems to be a strong sense of humor at work (how else do you
explain a tune (and CD) named "Lethal Cowbell"?).

The Finnish tradition seems to mix slavic and scandinavian influences.
The Scandinavian side sounds familiar to me, as in recent years
SCottish trad musicians have been exploring the Scandinavian side of
their tradition. Usually I hear this music in a fiddling context; nice
to hear someone doing it on harmonica. Often it has an improvisational
aspect as it does here.

No detectable blues influence, either.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, randy singer <randy@...> wrote:

hi harmonica friends,

this is one of the most unique harmonica players..not exactly sure
what to make of it.):):):)  ...but i like it!!

http://www.cdroots.com/aito-kyhala.html
>  Jouko Kyhälä - Saalas
> RootsWorld - New Haven,Connecticut,USA
> Finnish harmonica virtuoso Jouko Kyhälä is part of a new generation
> seeking to expand the expressive range of that instrument. ...

Saalas
Aito Records (www.aitorecords.com)

Finnish harmonica virtuoso Jouko Kyhälä is part of a new generation
seeking to expand the expressive range of that instrument. A member
of the eclectic harmonica ensemble Sväng and a doctoral student in
harmonica at the Sibelius Academy, Kyhälä is accompanied on this
outing by a sympathetic quartet of players (fiddle and kantele,
bouzuki, bass, and percussion). These largely improvised sessions
were recorded live without overdubs, resulting in a loose, playful
feel. As Kyhälä explains in the Finnish and English liner notes, "I
want to hear what people discover at the very moment they play music."

  Emblematic of this is "Polksa in F", which manages to be both foot-
stomping and elegant. Other pieces draw on improvisational musical
games taken from Finnish folk music. On "Mäkliinin Uni Ja Syrjälän
Kaapoon Polksa" (Mäkliini's Dream and Kaapo Syrjälä's Polska")
Syrjälä and fiddle player Piia Kleemola apparently looked into each
other's eyes, each trying to anticipate whether the other would alter
the tempo or play another section of the melody.

Kyhälä has customized some of his vast collection of harps, which
results in sonorities not generally thought possible on the
harmonica. On "Maanitusia" ("Persuasion"), Kyhälä plays a diatonic
harp tuned to allow him to play both a constant drone note and the
melody, in imitation of the bowed harp. On other tracks he relies on
technique alone to produce unorthodox sounds, as on
"Kaikuja" (Echoes), where his harmonica evokes the droning overtones
of a Jew's harp.

Saalas is not always successful. Because the recording is so weighted
toward polksas, some of the tracks tend to blend together and lack
emotional complexity. However, Jouko Kyhälä and his crack ensemble
are to be commended for expanding the sonic possibilities of the
harmonica, and in allowing the listener to experience the sheer joy
of musicians at play. - Michael Duke

CD available from cdRoots