Re: [Harp-L] Re: check out Billy Branch

I first heard Billy Branch when I saw Willie Dixon at the Chicago Blues Fest back in the 80's (The song "Wang Dang Doodle" from that show is on the Blues Deluxe CD (Alligator Records)).

I agree with the other poster's comment and  think Billy doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He maintains a strong presence in his playing of the traditional style but both his playing and songs have a distinctive, modern sound that is fresh and interesting.
Check out the songs "You" and "Grown Men Cry" on his first solo album "The Blues Keep Following Me Around". The solo on "You" is mostly clean with some amazing fast runs. The solo on "Grown Men..." is raw and dirty (he totally abuses the low notes at one point...it'll give ya goose bumps).

It's been a while since I've seen him, but he used to have a regular gig at Artis's Lounge at 1249 E. 87th St., Chicago
Tel: (312) 734-0491 1249 E. 87th St., Chicago

-------------- Original message from Joe Lempkowski <mr_jlemko@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------