[Harp-L] re: blues jazz cross over

In the old days, you played any gig you got--hence there was constant cross pollination. Johnny Johnson played for Count Basie, then went to Chess with an unknown side man named Chuck Berry. Many of the Motown musicians also played in big bands, played bop, and played in blues bands--real blues bands like with Muddy Waters. You can talk about the African influence, but there was also the country western, folk, jazz, soul, and the very strong gospel influence--listen to Muddy Waters. And of course Brownie McGhee wrote a lot of R and B tunes.

What this means is harp players have to listen to more than just early 50s Chicago blues. You should listen to everything. You listen to Little Walter without listening to Count Basie you're missing stuff. Listen to little Walter's guitar accompaniest. Very jazzy. I would further add that mixing genres is a tradition and to be a traditional harp player we need to starting mixing and matching. Let's do blues one drop, blues dub, blues hip hop, blues lounge, and please more blues funk.

One last thing--lyrics. I think of blues as a groove, not as lyrics. Yes Chuck Berry played a text book blues progression but he usually played straight eights ala country western rather than the swing eighth that the blues folks use. So when you mix and match swing like heck and play a little behind the beat.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm