Re: [Harp-L] A vibrato related question

Hey,

I use this one too. First I heard Tom Ball and Norton Buffalo using
this vibrato. Then with time I learned how to do it easily. And you
still can stay a pucker using this technique.

I use tongue and throat bent vibrato together, Though tonuge vibrato is
enough. That is, you make vibrations inside your mouth with your tongue
(depends, back and forth, up and down, or some mixed motion) as if you
were trying to bend the note using the tongue motion.

In simple words you just move your tongue back and forth very fast as
if trying to whistle exhaling and inhaling the air. Don't use your
throat or lungs for breathing for a while, just use the amount of air in
your chicks. Move the tongue really fast. In this case the trajectory of
the air streem is not straight and pressure on the reed is somewhat
mixed causing some kind of turbulence.

Now the most important thing. This effect is very impressive when used
on a bent note with at least half of the tone room above and below. The
best use of it in my opinion is by getting the deepest bent note, say, 2
draw 2-step bend and then do what was described above by adding some air
pressure.

In fine, when you vibrate your tongue the note flluctuates from the
2-step deep bend to almost pure 2 draw - with larger increment of time
devoted to the 2-step deep bent note and smaller increment of time
deveoted to the unbent note or I would say to transition from 2-step
bend to unbent note and back. That is, you are to hear the bent note
almost constantly with transitory vibrato effect along the possible
bending range. All this happens during the tongue vibration.

Sorry if it sounds complex, but it might give you an idea what to try.

Hope that helps.

Alex

>>> "Bob Laughlin" <rlaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 21.07.2006 11:19:11 >>>
I found this guy, Ronnie Shellist, on Youtube.com, doing a search for
"harmonica" clips.

Here's the clip in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_OchfmBc8

First, this guy is, if I am not mistaken, tongue blocking? I use pucker
exclusively, have for thirty-some years, save for octaves, and resist
the idea of changing my whole approach at this late date, but there are
things I simply cannot do with pucker alone.

Next, at 1:55 into the clip he uses a kind of vibrato (along with hand
effects) that sounds like what I would call "phasing",,I've heard others
do this, but never found out how to do it myself, to any degree. Is it
done with the diaphragm? the throat? the tongue? It's something I
definitely want to add to my harp tool-bag.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Laughlin, Stater Brothers resident whistler and harp player,
Huntington Beach, Ca