Re: [Harp-L] re: pathetic

On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Tim Moyer wrote:

Chris Michalek wrote:
I think in 100 years the harmonica players that will be
remembered will be

Litte Walter
John Popper
Toots Thielemans (Maybe)
Stevie Wonder

** I don't think any of them will be remembered. OR, to re-phrase that, I think that in general, they will fade away. However, you can be sure that there will be some 'die-hards' who will know about them, just as there are people today who can converse on subjects 1000 years old. Are they archeologists? No, just regular people.

It's funny to think about pop icons in terms of "staying power" on the order of a century. How many of us know anything about pop culture from 1906, for instance? We're in a new era now, because 100 years ago there wasn't nearly as much in the way of capturing the performances of entertainers.

** I happen to be a fan of Rag-Time and Dixieland Trad. jass. Most of it is from the 1905 + - era.

I'd guess that of the above-mentioned harmonica players, none will be remembered by the public in 100 years. Stevie Wonder probably has the best chance, albeit not as a harmonica player, because his compositions are performed by lots of other musicians. If you think about musical personalities we remember over the centuries, most are composers because there was actually a medium to capture their work and preserve it over time. Maybe this will change with all the ability we have now to capture and replay performances, but how many of us are going back and listening to old Enrico Caruso recordings?

** I used to listen to Carmen Cavalaro, Eddie Duchin & Al Johlson quite a bit when I was younger. Though not nearly as far back as Caruso. I would never listen to Caruso because I don't care for his voice. I also don't care for Pavarotti, or that new blind Italian guy who seems to have a nice following. Facts be known, my Italian side doesn't like opera and my Polish side doesn't like polkas.

I can't imagine my children's children's children listening to 100- year-old Blues Traveler CDs.

Ha, yeah, THAT's a joke. smo-joe

-tim