Re: [Harp-L] Bullets & Wireless

Bill Hines wrote:
> I had heard elsewhere that bullet mics aren't a good match for
> the wireless devices like the AKG WMS, only low impedance RE10,
> SM57 type mics. Do folks use both types with wireless units
> successfully? The kid in this video seems to be using one with
> his bullet quite successfully: http://video.nbc.com/player.html?
> dlid=24415

You can use one of the hi-Z, beltpack transmitter type systems that
are designed for guitar quite easily by adapting your bullet to
accept a 1/4" male plug.  You end up with a short cord from the mic
to your belt.

What doesn't work is to try and plug the WMS-40 Snap-On lo-Z XLR
transmitter into the hi-Z XLR connector that's on some JT-30
shells.  If you turn the gain up high enough to get audible output
it will start to clip.

> Also heard that the WMS SO40 that has been recommended so often
> here is being discontinued. So that means low prices, tempting.
> But then limited supply of parts/accessories? Anyone know what is
> replacing it and if it's worth it to wait?

Yes, it's become hard to get accessories for the WMS-40, including
the rack mount adapter and the battery charger.  I haven't seen
anything from AKG to replace it yet, so I'm just going to take real
good care of mine.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps