[Harp-L] Re: Harmonica gathering in Israel!

That's a nice story, and it's always good to hear about our instrument spreading to more parts of the world.  You reminded me of a comment by a Jewish American friend of mine, whom I was teaching to play harp while we were both studying in Russia in the summer of 2003.  (How bold I was to attempt teaching this instrument only six months after starting it myself!)  He laughed at his own desire to play, remarking that the harmonica is not played by many Jews.  My response was, "How about Bob Dylan?"  And now that I know more, I would add Howard Levy of course!  I wish I still had his contact info, because he was learning to read Hebrew and would have enjoyed the Hebraic harmonica site.

I guess the moral of the story is that this instrument appeals to, and is played by, people all over the world!  I recently heard about an African group called the Refugee All-Stars of Sierra Leone, which features a one-armed harmonica player.  All members of the band are actual refugees from the war-torn nation, and they make beautiful music.

Jonathan