[Harp-L] Re: 17 note and 12 note scales

Re: 17 note and 12 note scales

JR Ross wrote:
<This is a reply I wrote to Richard's cross-post of this to harp-l. If <this shows up twice, blame Yahoo (trust me, it's their fault):
(followed by a whole lot of stuff)...

Thanks to JR for a very detailed and informative reply. I bow to his superior knowledge in this matter. Any conflicts between what I said and what JR said should be resolved in favor of JR's comments.

It will take a whole lot to get me to think in terms of a 17-note scale, especially since, in most of my compositions, I'm barely using half of the 12-note scale, and I'm pretty sure that adding another 5 notes is not likely to improve either my skills or the audience's pleasure.

Besides which, how do you notate a 17-note scale on a G clef?

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter