Re: [Harp-L] Big Walter Horton and chromatic

-- christian meuris <blitzcr1s@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,
A few days ago Donnie MorTone (Best Regard) says
"hmm...as far as I know...Big Walter never played any chromatic...
al least not on record...but he did have awesome Tone."
I've just heard once again this afternoon his L.P. "Can't Keep Lovin'
You" and it' appears that the first track "Skip It" and the seven
track "West Wind" are both chromatic. There are instrumentals and it's
seem to me that there are very similar (more like alternate track,
hu ?)
Peace, Kris

Hi Kris,
Big Walter used to tell me that, when I met him several times during
the 70's, that he gave chromatic up because it took too much wind, but
knowing him, he was known for being a huge teller of BS stories, and
many other blues ;legends I've worked with and met have all said that
too, and Muddy Waters told me he NEVER played chromatic with him.

What he's using is the original Marine Band Soloist, which along with
its orgininal counterpart, The School Band model, was a beginner's
harp towards a chromatic, without the slide and the extra set of reed
plates a half step higher in pitch. The present day 364S is still a
very poor substitue for the one they discontinued in 1975, which I
have two of (and they're NOT for sale).

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA